As Lent season has officially kicked off, we try our best to avoid meat on Fridays. Honestly, there is a Friday or two (or three lol) where we forget, but happily this week we remembered before I hit the grocery store. We were still feeling really hungry though, so decided to make a cauliflower fried rice bowl, packed heavy with a variety of veggies and sauteed shrimp on top. We took the lazy route, and used a lot of the frozen veggies we usually use for Char (edamame, peas, carrots, corn). A great way to add a little more protein to the dish is to scramble an egg or two and throw into the dish right at the end, sprinkled alongside green onions. I think it ties everything perfectly together. For those trying to cut out starchy carbs, cauliflower is a great alternative for rice dishes, especially because it truly fills you up the same way. We devoured the entire pan within minutes.
We had a long week over here as Nick was traveling for five days, so I was on solo duty with Char. Needless to say, we crashed immediately last night post-dinner. But we are down to the one week countdown for our Baby-moon escape, so that will certainly power us through this next week.
Now on to brace the 20 degree weather outside…..where are you Spring? I’m ready!
Shrimp & Veggie packed Cauliflower Rice Bowls: serves 3
- 1 large head of cauliflower; shredded using a grater
- 1/2 lb of peeled/de-veined shrimp (about 10-12 shrimps total)
- 1 bunch of green onions or scallions; finely chopped
- 1 yellow onion; finely chopped
- 2 large carrots; diced into bite size pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 table spoon of olive oil
- 2 table spoon of sesame oil
- 1/2 cup of soy sauce
- salt & pepper for seasoning
- 1 tea spoon of ginger
- 4 garlic cloves; finely chopped
- 1 cup of frozen veggies (mixed medley)
- we also threw in a 1/2 cup of frozen edamame
- Partially cook the frozen veggies (just a few minutes-it will cook more in the stir fry)
- Grate the entire head of cauliflower.
- In a frying pan on medium heat add olive oil. Saute two cloves of chopped garlic with chopped onions and sliced carrots.
- Add to the frying pan the rest of the veggies (original frozen ones), grated cauliflower, ginger, salt & pepper, soy sauce, and sesame oil
- As that is cooking, in another frying pan saute shrimp with some olive and remaining garlic cloves. Cook two minutes each side.
- Add whisked egg and shrimp to the stir fry dish for about one minute stirring lightly.
- Feel free to season more if need be. Toss with chopped scallions or green onions and serve 🙂
Tackling the play ground these days like a boss…..