Happy Sunday everyone!!! I can’t even contain myself to wait a day longer to write about this great meal we cooked Friday night. Sadly, my only contribution was buying the ingredients, but I’d like to think I helped add some spices at the end to make it just right 🙂
Paella is one of our favorite dishes when having guests over, because you can make a huge batch of it, and really add any proteins you like to switch it up. We were hungry, so this batch consisted of chicken thighs, shrimp, and chorizo sausage. Man, was it GOOD!
We had a much needed relaxing weekend as we prep for our next Toronto adventure: Charlotte’s baptism next week. We’re crossing our fingers for happy flights with this little 7 month old! Below are some pics of Charlotte at her friend Blair’s 1st birthday party this weekend. She loved the balloons and live music, however, slept through a good 3/4 of the party … (#wedontfeelguilty).
Chicken, Shrimp, & Chorizo Paella: serves 5-6
- 1.5 lb pack chicken thighs (we like a lot of meat, but you could shave back here if you want)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Spanish chorizo sausages, thickly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Spanish onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- Bunch flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped, reserve some for garnish
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and hand-crushed
- 4 cups arborio rice
- 6 cups water, warm
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and de-veined (again feel free to add more or less depending on your preference)
- Lemon wedges, for serving
Spice Mix for chicken:
- 1 part paprika, kosher salt, and freshly ground pepper
- 2 parts dried oregano
1) Marinate the shrimp for ~30 mins by mixing them with a generous amount of olive oil (so that the shrimp are well coated), 1 tsp each salt and pepper, 2 sliced cloves of garlic, and 2 tbsp lemon juice. Don’t over marinate or the lemon juice will slowly cook the shrimp, forming a gross ceviche.
2) Generously dust the chicken with the spice mix. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a paella pan over medium-high heat (we actually used an electric wok, and cooked it all at the table!) Saute the chorizo until browned, remove and reserve. Keep the leftover oil
3) Add chicken skin-side down and let brown, ~3 mins each side (it doesn’t need to be fully cooked through, because you’ll add it as the rice cooks.) Remove from pan, and keep with the sausage.
4) Add the shrimp, saute quickly (~1 min each side), until the shrimp has just turned pink (again, you’ll cook it more later, so no need to worry about them being cooked all the way through.)
5) In the same pan, sautee the onions, peppers, remaining garlic, and 1/2 the parsley. Cook for 3-4 minutes over medium heat. Add tomatoes and spices, cook until the liquid has mostly evaporated.
6) Fold in the rice and stir-fry to coat the grains, ~3 mins. Pour in water & chicken stock, bring to a simmer. Add chicken & chorizo, allow to simmer over medium heat until rice is al-dente, ~12-15 mins (try not to stir, as this makes the rice mushy).
7) Add the shrimp for the last ~2 mins of cooking. Once the paella is cooked and the rice looks fluffy and moist, turn the heat up for about a minute, until you can smell the rice toast at the bottom, then it’s perfect (you want a nice crispy bottom).
8) Remove from heat, garnish with some of the parsley.
And DIG IN!!!!