TGIF everyone!!! What a crazy week it has been. Char and I were off in North Carolina, where she met her cousins for the first time, while Nick had a business trip in Miami. The week certainly flew by, and we had such a blast visiting with the fam…if only we lived closer 😦 I do think, however, that Lil Char was happy to be back in her crib again last night. The boys were so cute hugging her NON stop, but I think she was heavily over stimulated, judging by her insanely long naps and early bedtime today. So job well done boys:)
We wanted to eat something clean tonight, so opted for salmon cakes, which were a total hit! These were super easy to make and you certainly could add any veggie you want to the mix, but we went with some basic ingredients, and topped it off with an avocado mash and sriracha aioli, on a toasted bun. We kept the side simple, with some tater tots we found in the freezer.And I may or may not have had 1 and 1/2 burgers….no judgement please.
As for our weekly Char update…. Solids are still going well over here. So far orange vegetables seem to be her favorite, specifically yams and carrots. We also tried corn today for the first time, and she loved them. Honestly, I even enjoyed them a lot, serving myself in between her bites. However, I do feel like throwing her in a bath after every meal because the OCD in me can’t stand watching her get so messy (but I’m far too lazy to do that in reality).
It’s crazy to see how much she’s changed over the past couple weeks. She’s becoming much more mobile, rolling non stop in every direction and really recognizing toys and people. When Nick walked in last night, I swear she lit up with the biggest grin yet. She definitely missed her Daddy and their usual AM wake up routine (so did mommy, as it buys her an extra 15-20 mins of sleep in the AM)!
Salmon Cakes: serves 2
- 3/4-1 lb of salmon
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch of dill
- 1/2 bunch of green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of panko crumbs
- 1 egg white
- 1 table spoon of ginger, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 1 table spoon of salt & pepper
- a few dashes of lemon juice
- 1 tea spoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 table spoon of soy sauce
1) Lightly saute the onions, garlic, and red pepper (2-3 mins), let cool.
2) Using a sharp knife, cut the salmon into 1/4 inch cubes. See below.
3) Combine all ingredients, mixing by hand. Form into 3 large “meatballs”
4) Heat 1/2 tsp olive oil over medium heat, 2-3 mins. Place meatballs into the pan, pressing to form burger patties. Cook over medium heat until a crust has formed, approx. 5 mins. Flip once (you may have to use your hand to make sure the patties stay together). Cook on other side until crust has formed, ~ 5 mins
5) Place on bun and sprinkle with green onions and dill, or any other condiments you might enjoy.